treat yourself to a cleansing weight loss weekend!
There is nothing like a ‘cleansing weekend’ to give your body a chance to reboot. Not only do a relaxing and optimally-nourishing few days help to calm the brain and prompt an element of de-stressing but also, a weekend of total devotion to you (and only you) can result in a greater appreciation and the will to continue with a diet that encourages weight loss, hikes up your energy levels and helps to clear up skin and digestive problems that may have been dragging you down for a while.
Firstly, you have to shop ahead and have everything to hand so you can get going on Friday evening so have a look at what I recommend below, save and perhaps print off the recipes I suggest (just click on the links), pull together a shopping list a few days before and do a bit of prepping before you start
- As soon as you get home from work (or your workday is done), skin brush, shower, moisturise face and body with light, chemical-free and nourishing products, change into your favourite 'comfy' clothes, find a blissfully-relaxing 'corner' and have a cleansing and calming mug of Hot Lemon and Ginger.
- Head for an early night and no less than an hour before you do, have a tasty, fresh and colourful salad. Place a handful of mixed leaves in a medium-sized bowl and top with grated courgette, grated apple, finely-sliced, peeled cucumber, a tablespoon of both hummus and natural cottage cheese, a tablespoon of mixed peppers in olive oil (readily-available from supermarkets and delis), a good splash of lemon or lime juice and a good scattering of fresh walnuts or toasted, flaked almonds.
- Sip water throughout the evening and keep some on the bedside table and have a good glug if you wake up during the night.
Saturday and Sunday
- Have a long lie or stay in bed and read your book or simply stay cozy and warm until you feel like getting up.
- As soon as you do decide to get up, have a glass of water then head outside for a 30 minute brisk walk then when you get back home, skin brush, shower, moisturise, get back into your 'comfy' clothes and settle down with a mug of Hot Lemon and Ginger.
- Anywhere between 11am and 1pm, have a bowl of Super Green Granola or Scrambled Eggs on Toast (toast one thick slice of sprouted grain bread, spread with butter from pasture-raised cows - Kerrygold is a good choice - top with two eggs, scrambled until light and creamy and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper).
- Anywhere between 3pm and 5pm, have a bowl or large mug of soup heated through until just beginning to boil.
- Head for an early night and no less than an hour before you do, have a tasty, fresh and colourful salad as per Friday evening OR if you are feeling a bit ‘chilled’ and want/need some hot food, have my Parcel-Baked Fish or Sweet Potato Curry.
- Throughout the day, sip water and have a few mugs of green, white, black, red bush, fruit or herb tea (no milk or sugar).
- Back to work probably but make time to skin brush, shower and moisturise, have a mug of Hot Lemon and Ginger while you get ready for the day, have a bowl of Super Green Granola or Scrambled Eggs on Toast before you head out (or when you get to work), heat through and flask what’s left of your soup and have a cupful every few hours, stay as close as you can to the salad recommendation at lunchtime, keep sipping water and teas throughout the day, have a light dinner of protein and steamed, roasted or stir fried vegetables and try for another early night.
- To give your liver a helping hand and encourage a bit more 'cleansing', you may wish to consider a supplement. Nutri’s Liver Support formulated by Xandria Williams provides an excellent combination of nutrients.
- If you fear that sugar cravings may seriously-invade your cleansing weekend, you may wish to consider a supplement. Biocare’s Sucroguard formulated by Dr John Briffa provides excellent levels of chromium and magnesium, two minerals which are vital for blood sugar management. Also available through Amazon.
- Should hunger and/or cravings threaten to cause 'more stress than chill' over the weekend, I recommend a wee cup of soup to keep the whole plan moving nicely forward - however - you won’t do any harm (and likely create a little bit of extra happiness!) if you have a mini bar of very dark chocolate alongside a piece of fresh fruit and a handful of fresh nuts on one or other of the days!