(makes 4 generous or 6 small servings)
The ‘spicing’ of the feta and the addition of the sweet potatoes and aubergine make this a really fresh but filling salad.
Spicy Feta Cheese
200g feta, cut into bite sized chunks
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, preferably Greek
½ aubergine, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 sweet potato, cut into 1 inch cubes
100g black olives, stone and halved
1 medium red onion, very thinly sliced
5 tomatoes, cut into large chunks
½ cucumber, cut into bite sized chunks
2 teaspoons dried oregano
½ lemon, juice only
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for roasting
Freshly ground black pepper
- Toast the fennel and cumin seeds for a minute or so in a dry pan until the aromas are released.
- Combine the seeds with the feta and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a bowl, making sure the feta is coated in the spiced oil. Place in the fridge for as long as possible to marinate (overnight is great).
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6.
- Place the sweet potatoes on a baking tray and drizzle with a little of the olive oil. Roast in the oven for 35 minutes then add the aubergine and roast for a further 10 to 15 minutes then allow them to cool a little whilst you prepare the salad.
- Combine the olives, red onion, tomatoes, cucumber, oregano, lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil in a bowl, then mix in the marinated feta. Add the sweet potato and aubergine and toss it all together before serving.