(makes 10-12 burger-sized fritters)
Fritters are so quick and easy and these ones are baked in the oven making them super-convenient and pretty darned healthy. You can play around with different vegetables, cheeses and herb mixes and as long as you stick to the recommended proportions, you get perfect fritters every time to have as a quick snack or with a lightly-dressed mixed salad for lunch or dinner - and - a dip really does add that extra something special!
2 medium-sized courgettes, cleaned and coarsely grated
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 clove garlic, peeled and grated or minced
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 heaped tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill
1 small red chilli, de-seeded and very finely diced
2 large eggs
80g feta cheese, crumbled
140g Panko breadcrumbs or finely-cut oats
- In a bowl, mix the grated courgette with a good pinch of salt, cover with cling film and leave for around 20 minutes to allow the courgettes to release their water content.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350F/180C/Gas Mark 4 then mix the olive oil, garlic, baking powder, dill, chilli, eggs, feta and breadcrumbs or oats in a bowl.
- Using a clean tea towel, squeeze as much of the water out of the courgettes as possible then add to the bowl with a few good grindings of black pepper and a pinch of salt and thoroughly combine the lot.
- Form 10-12 fritters with your hands (make a ball first then slightly flatten with the heel of your hand) place them (leaving space between each) on a baking sheet lined with baking paper or a non-stick sheet and bake in the middle of the oven for 20 to 30 minutes, turning halfway. It all depends on the size of your fritters, so check after 20 minutes (best way to test them is to eat one!) and give them another 10 minutes if required.
- Serve them piping hot with a dip (yoghurt and mint works well as does sour cream and chives) and a lightly-dressed mixed green salad.